Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Letters To My Daughters (#1)

Dear Isabelle, Madelyn, and Sophia,

You're still a couple of months away (hopefully) from taking your first breaths and melting our hearts, though to be honest, mine is already complete mush.  If you've gone back and read this blog from the beginning, then you've noticed that most of what your mother and I have written has been about our journey and experience with the pregnancy.  In fact, most of the posts on the blog aren't really written for you, but for our friends, family, and the small fan club that's formed around you!  Reflecting on this, I realized I wanted to write directly to all of you.  This actually serves a couple of purposes.  First, assuming that we'll have lots of time together when you get older, it will be fun to look back on the thoughts of an expecting father and compare them to a, then, experienced one.  Second, if something ever happens to me, and I don't get an infinite amount of opportunities to help mold your beautiful minds and share my experiences with you, then I want you to have pieces of my heart, in the form of these letters, to hold next to yours.  Before I get on to the main point of this letter, I want you to all know how much you mean to me.  You were all "daddy's little girls" since we saw our first ultrasound and no matter how tall you grow, you'll always stay that way in my heart.

An old friend shared a post recently with the thoughts, below.  I read through it and thought to myself, "This is one simple way to summarize a healthy approach to and outlook on life," and I wanted to share it with you.  There will be times in your life when you feel overwhelmed and may possibly be searching for some direction.  Don't over-think everything.  Most of life is pretty simple.  You'll be faced with tough decisions at certain points in your life, but there's a lot of living to be had in the in between and you need to do your best to enjoy it when you can!

"This is your life.
Do what you love, and do it often.
If you don't like your job, quit.
If you don't like something, change it.
If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv.
If you're looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing things you love.
Stop over analyzing.  Life is simple.
All emotions are beautiful.
When you eat, appreciate every last bite.
Open your minds, arms, and hearts to new things and people, we are united in our differences.
Ask the next person you see what their passion is, and share your inspiring dream with them.
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.
Some opportunities only come once, seize them.
Life is about the people you meet, and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating.
Life is short.
Live your dream and share your passion."

Love,
Dad

P.S. - Don't use the third line as an excuse to quit every job.  There will be times in your life when you have responsibilities and obligations and those may trump your dislike for your current job.

P.P.S. - Your mother told me to tell you that you better not be allergic to cats or else she might have to make some tough decisions about who stays and who goes.  At this point, I'd say your odds are slightly better than a coin flip.

P.P.P.S - I want you to know that your mother is adorable.  I'm sure your thoughts on your mother will change over time, but she is a sweetheart who smiles at every opportunity and loves to laugh.  In fact, sometimes she laughs so hard she almost pees her pants.  You should know that, thus why I included a picture of her in today's letter.

2 comments: